11.03.2013

Gratitude Day 3 - Precision Nutrition's Lean Eating Program

Anyone who has known me more than five minutes knows that my weight has been a lifelong struggle.  I always joke that Kelly and Rebecca got the thin and pretty genes, and I got the fat, sweaty genes.  Now, my self-esteem has come a long way over the last 5 or so years, so that even though my weight fluctuates by about 30 pounds every couple of years, I'm pretty happy with myself and find myself beautiful and valuable.

My most recent weight gain (beginning when I was done training for the triathlon in 2011 and continuing through my marathon training, my move to Colorado, a rough breakup, and a knee injury) has done more than make me cringe at what I see in the mirror and have to do creative acrobatics to fit into my largest pants.  It took me away from running and made me feel like crap.

So this July I decided to do something about it.  I joined an online weight loss health coaching program called Lean Eating.  My old rugby teammate Brummer. did the program a year ago and kicked so much ass at it that she won a cash prize at the end.  More importantly, she forever changed how she took care of her body.  So with her support, I enrolled.

What I love the most about LE is that it takes life change one baby step at a time.  Every two weeks you get a new habit.  The habits range from basic (take a probiotic and fish oil every day), to emotionally complicated (eat slowly, eat until you're 80% full).  But each one is bite size enough that it is easy to follow.  In addition to the habits, they tell you how to work out, and give you the flexibility to adapt the workouts.  For example, I like running and doing Body Pump classes, so I've done those on workout days instead of the prescribed workouts.



And people!  The results!  I've lost 16 pounds and 14 inches since July.  Not super speedy, but pretty incredible.  They also have you take photos every month or so.  I finally got my awesome cousin Jenny to take my most recent set of pictures, and holy crap!  I'm slimming down!

The best part of the program, though, is the personal coaching support from Coach Denise!  She is available by e-mail, phone, face time, skype, etc.  She is ridiculously fast at responding to questions, and notices when you haven't signed in and logged your habits and workouts lately.  Then she calls you and listens to you cry in frustration, and tells you to get back on it the way you started -- a little bit at a time.

I feel so much better.  I can run two miles without stopping again.  My pants fit.  I love vegetables.

So thanks, LE, for reminding me that when I take care of myself, I'm better.

3 comments:

  1. Kate-Thanks for the PN love! You are rocking this journey and I am honored and excited to be along for the ride! Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - Kate, you are inspiring me early on a Monday morning! In fact, I am going to use this as my Team's MONDAY MOTIVATION post. I'm feeling even more blessed than usual today. Thank you and continue to enjoy this journey. I'm so glad you're with us! ~ Krista Schaus, Lead Coach, Precision Nutrition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - that is awesome to read!

    I am on the men's list and have seen similar results and I love the program too... see a lot of similarities with your journey in that I had done a half marathon, a 10K before and always had weight issues.. PN has done wonders in making nutrition work in tandem with my exercise routine to give amazing results! Keep going, and keep the posts coming!! -- Chinmay

    ReplyDelete