11.17.2013

Gratitude Day 16 - The Lesbifriends


I moved to Denver with a partner.  When that ended, I was left without a support system except for my not-cousin Jenny.  It's scary being in a new place and only knowing people from work, especially when those people routinely work 18-hour days and read education blogs on their downtime.

So when Heather, a friend of Jenny's invited me to a pumpkin carving party last October, I was hopeful that this would be the beginning of a great friendship with a wonderful person.  I got SO much more than I bargained for.

At the party I was greeted by a table full of pumpkin desserts, and as I made my way through the kitchen and into the back yard, I couldn't believe my eyes.  Lesbians!  Everywhere!  There were faux-hawk lesbians, and olympic soccer lesbians, and country-western lesbians.

About an hour in, this text message conversation ensued:

Kate: Pumpkin carving party full of lesbians.
Rebecca: Picture or it didn't happen.
Kate: *sends picture*
Rebecca:  Jesus.  Even that DOG looks like a lesbian.

(It was a picture of these three people, with a dog in one of their laps.  Sadly, the picture will never be seen again because I had to reset my phone.  But you get the idea.)

The end of the pumpkin party featured a marriage proposal carved into pumpkins.  I started the day knowing no one but Heather, and ended the evening being trusted to do the lettering and carving of said proposal.

And that was the beginning of a wonderful winter of friendship with 10-or-so of the best ladies I know.  We had family dinners, endless nights of dancing at Charlie's, white dolphin Christmas exchange, and like 3 non-stop days of eating Thanksgiving food.

Last night was Heather's birthday party.  Last year, all the lesbifriends took a limo to dinner and to the party.  This year, most of us arrived separately, with our own dates.  Last year, we spent every Friday and Saturday night together.  This year we see each other more often at major events.  And this doesn't make me sad.

What I learned last night is that even though friendships change and relationships grow and develop, we need to be forever grateful for those moments of genuine joy and friendship we feel.  So today I'm grateful for the original Lesbifriends, and all those who have been added to the mix.  I am truly blessed to know each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment