11.18.2013

Gratitude Day 18 - Self Dates

I must have been about 10 years old when I was sitting with my mom at a restaurant and saw someone having lunch or dinner alone.  I was even more sensitive then than I am now, and I was overcome with sadness for this person.  I said to mom, "I think whenever I see someone eating alone I should go over and sit with them."  She gently recommended against ever doing that and I couldn't understand why.  It was the most depressing thing I had ever seen.

And then I turned 28.  And oh my God, Self Dates are the best invention ever. Of course, you'd rather the girl that you're crushing on come with you.  Yeah, yeah, if you don't have anyone to go with, you might as well just eat cottage cheese and an apple standing at your kitchen counter.  Wouldn't it be better just to eat the rotisserie chicken right off the chicken while watching reruns of 30 Rock than to have people think you're pathetic and alone?  Maybe.

But what about this:

This guy.  Feet up.  No shoes.  Winner.
Go to your favorite restaurant, a block from your house, where the waitresses know you by name and have the correct beer on your table when they see you coming in.  Sit back in your booth, watch the football game, and have someone cook for you.  Don't talk to anyone, because you don't have to.  No small talk.  No awkward pauses.  No self-conscious ordering.  Maybe bring a book, or catch up on BuzzFeed and facebook while you wait for your food to come.  Eat as fast or as slow as you want.  Leave a nice tip.  Head home. DO NO DISHES.

There's a time and a place for everything.  And tonight, it was time for a Self Date.  And for that, I'm so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment