11.27.2013

Gratitude Day 26 - Jace, Lisa, Kelsey, and Washington Park Chiropractic

I woke up yesterday to a pain in my neck.  Instead of gradually loosening up, it got worse after my shower and light laundry-folding activity.  I was supposed to head up to see family in Boulder for lunch, and I was in a ton of pain.  I called my good friends at Wash Park Chiropractic and they were chock full of people getting the pre-turkey-binge adjustments.  Kelsey said she'd call me if there was a cancellation.  I fully expected to spend the day in loads of pain, and five minutes later she called me back with an appointment at 11.  SCORE!

Jace is my normal chiropractor.  I'm never quite sure why they let someone so funny, youthful,and sarcastic be a doctor, but he has done a great job ever since my first adjustment at a pumpkin carving party a year ago.  No joke.  But Jace was full, so I got to see Dr. Lisa Goodman, the owner of the practice.  She knows me peripherally through my not-cousin, and has steady, calming hands and an incredibly pleasant bedside manner.

When I got on the table, she felt around my neck and shoulders for a bit.  Then she said she had good news and bad news.  The good news was that she could make it better.  The bad news is that it would hurt and wouldn't start to feel better until the next day.  Luckily I trusted her and gave her a go.

If you have never had a chiropractic adjustment before, it is the scariest shit ever (especially if you just rewatched the first Hunger Games movie where Cato breaks that poor kid's neck with a quick twist of his arms).  They grab you by the jaw, wiggle your head around to lull you into a false sense of security, and then yank your head so far to the left or right that it feels like it will fall off.  And the cracking noises that come out are just plain gross.

And then all of a sudden the blood flow is restored to your brain and you feel AMAZING.  A few more cracks to the back, and a rub down with some cooling gel had me feeling a bit better.

But this morning, well it's a Thanksgiving miracle.  The sharp pain from the "sleep trauma" yesterday is gone, replaced by a dull ache that is taken care of with advil and more of the cooling gel.  Imagine if I hadn't gone to see them yesterday.

Today I'm grateful for the good folks at Washington Park Chiropractic, for getting me all fixed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment