11.02.2013

Gratitude Day 2 - Facebook (No, seriously.)

Ok.  Before you decide that I'm a shallow human being who lives my life through propaganda of other peoples' lives on facebook, please hear me out.

Here is a text message exchange from today:

Now, you're probably thinking, that's not even a funny message, it sounds kind of painful.  Plus aren't you just thankful for text messages?

No.  And here's why.  Annie was my SCUBA teacher when I was 15.  She introduced me to the beauty and magic of breathing underwater.  She showed me sharks and coral and the most beautiful blue tropical water I have ever seen.  And when I broke my leg in college, she called me up and told me about her recent health scare and told me I would be ok.  And when I met up with her in San Francisco three summers ago, she took me to fun places and didn't laugh too hard when I injured myself on a slide.

Oh.  So you're grateful for Annie?

Yes.  And also facebook.  Because without facebook, Annie would have just been another memory.  We would have slowly stopped writing each other letters, moved on in our studies and our careers and our lives.  And we would probably never have reconnected because we wouldn't know where we moved, or what we were interested in, or how hilarious we still were.

And facebook hasn't just kept me in touch with Annie.  My old camp counselor Rachel and I trade groans and motivational words about our running adventures.  I'm up to date on Henry's life even though he's horrible at staying in touch.  I've built a stronger friendship with Melissa through our discussions about Brandi Carlile.  And I've been exposed to Samir's gorgeous musical talents by downloading the recent recordings he shares.  And babies.  Jeez I've seen a lot of adorable babies.  Plus I've seen my mom and dad learn about emoticons, hashtags, and likes.  Truly a beautiful thing.

So thank you, Facebook, for helping me connect with folks from my past and present, and for violating my privacy in all the right ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment