11.11.2013

Gratitude Day 11 - The Unexpected


I'm a planner.  Big time.  I like to know what is happening, to the minute, at least a week ahead of time.  I didn't used to be this way.  I think it all started when I began teaching.  In education, nothing ever goes as planned.  I always plan a little bit longer than I need for everything.  That way I can fit in a crisis every couple hours.  It's my secret to being a principal AND getting 8 hours of sleep a night.

So you would think that as a planner, the unexpected would be my nemesis.  And while I've always thought it would be cool to actually have a nemesis, I can't claim this one.  Because, no matter how hard I try to avoid it, the unexpected often turns out to be just what I need.

Almost a year ago, what was supposed to be a first date turned out to be an introduction to the Cowboy Cha Cha, snowshoeing, and a church home (Unexpected hat trick #1!)

Two weeks ago, as a result of cultivating church friendships, what was supposed to be the first night of a sabbatical from the world of dating turned out to be an evening full of yard games, a gigantic cookie, and a week of butterflies (Unexpected hat trick #2!).

Today, what was supposed to be a quick walk around the lake with the pretty girl of yard games fame turned into lunch at my favorite restaurant, an important conversation about expectations, and a viewing of the first episode of Orange is the New Black (Unexpected hat trick #3!).

And here's the deal.  I have NO idea what to expect next from this series of events.  And I'm ok with that. Because sometimes, the unexpected is better than anything we could have planned.



No comments:

Post a Comment